Saturday, September 10, 2005

Aces Suck!!!

I've seen a shirt with this exclamation on one of the guys in "the crew" in a WSOP broadcast, and I always thought it was humorous. But, never would I have thought it was true! The other night I decided to play in UB's Katrina Relief Tournament. It was the lowest buy-in $5 + 5. From the beginning of the tournament until the end, I got AA and KK about 10! times. They say that with these big pocket pairs you usually only win a small pot, but lose the big ones. Well, that is exactly what happened. I was actually pretty impressed that I made it as far as I did since I was down to 325 chips after the first 30 mins. Each time I lost these big pots it wasn't because I played it bad before the flop, in fact, there was absolutely no reason for these donkeys to be in it against me. Of course, the first hand I lost with KK, there was the dreaded A on the flop and of course the guy behind me had AQo. I was UTG and was re-raised by this donk, I re-re-raised and he calls. Too bad I didn't have AK! After getting my stack up to just under the average stack after the first break, I ended up getting all of my chip in the pot on the turn with this board Q 9 9 J. He of course had A9s! No business!! So while I was dissapointed in not making it in the money, I was impressed that I had made it that far. Later, I played in a $5+.50 with $3500 guaranteed and ended up getting 45th. Going out in a blaze of glory with pocket sevens.

So the 'roll has taken a bit of a hit, though nothing out of the ordinary. I have not had a winning session in cash games, but the losses have been small. My tournaments haven't been that great either (SnG's, MTT's). Today is the Cardplayer Freeroll, which I am glad to be playing in again. I need another money finish to have any chance of playing in the Championship tournament. We still don't know what the big prize is, but it's Cardplayer, so I have faith that it will be nice.

No comments: