Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Triple Draw

Lately I have been playing many hours of Triple Draw 2-7 on UB. I am really enjoying this game, it's so much fun! The problem is that it is really a grind to eek out a profit. Last night I played over two hours and was +$16. Now this isn't bad considering it the limit (.25/.50), but this game has some major swings. I was playing with a couple forum members (NeccoWafers and OutOfOrder, and then Corona1-formerly known as Seanstack later on), and OoO really said it best in that your stack fluctuates pretty drastically, but your profit comes from your "runs" where the deck really hits you. This is exactly what happened to me last night as I was going back and forth, up $10 and down $5 until I hit one wheel followed by a draw to #2 that hit after the first draw, followed again by a pat rough 8 that I never thought would hold up but did. I did have one interesting hand where I had a draw to the wheel. Pre-draw there was major raising and I think it got capped. I had 2345 and hit my 7 after the first draw. Two other players in the hand were also drawing, one drew 1 the other drew 2. I was in EP (can't remember if it was BB or UTG). I bet out and it got capped and I of course was pat for the second draw. My opponents drew 1 and 0 collectively and here I was sitting with the straight up nutz. Of course it got capped again before the last draw, but this time the one guy who was still drawing dropped out and it was down to the pat hands, I bet out and re-raised until we capped and showed down my wheel. I don't know what the other guy was thinking I think he had a 23568! Which is in trouble and he just kept jamming? Anyway, that was a fun hand and I was positive that we would be chopping, but I later got a good read on this guy because he would go pat with real rough hands.

So my bankroll is back up and I am pretty happy. It's funny how great August was for me, and I attribute that to my cash game play. I really want to get better in the big tournaments, but I haven't been able to play many and they take so much time! I can see how it is so important to have stamina and I can't imagine how hard the WSOP main event is. The first couple months I mainly played SnG's and worked up my bankroll with many 1st and 2nds, and I cashed in 40% or so. The last month and a half I have only played a handful of SnG's. I know I wanted to track my play on these, but I haven't played more than 3 I think! I did play in one $10+1 on Sunday and got another dissapointing 3rd place, where I should've at least got 2nd. The problem was that I was playing triple draw and the SnG at the same time. I worked my stack up real big, but then with 4 people left made a bad call to an allin w/ an A9s (Chris' favorite hand!) and was up against AK. That crippled me and I was left struggling for third place.

In other news, Chris and I lost our first fantasy football matchup against Phil! :<
It was kinda flukey since Phil had the Bills defense and kicker who put up 37 points collectively. Cut that in half and we had a chance going into the Monday Night Football game with T.O. going, but he didn't score so it probably wouldn't have mattered. We still feel good about our team and feel that it is one of the most solid in the league. Brian won his matchup with a pitiful performance from Chris/Jesse. Football season is the best!!

Chris responded to my "Talking *hit" post! It was funny. Chris you're my boy, and I meant it all in fun. He seriously is the hardest working guy i've ever known. And thats why he makes the big bucks, and i'm sitting here wasting time on a blog that maybe 3-4 people read! He did make a point to invite me to play in the golf tournament on friday which I am so very grateful! I can't wait to play!

So I need to summarize my short-term and long term goals, mainly for myself:
Short-term:
A. Open account at Party or Stars - I would like to get my 'roll up to $800 before doing this.
B. Move up to $20+2 SnG's.
C. Buy Pokertracker - This will be essential because I am awful about keeping notes on my opponents. Cost $55

Long-term:
A. Win a MTT online or Live (buy-in irrelevant / pay-out irrelevant)
B. Bankroll at $2500+
C. Buy-in for WSOP prelim. event.

UB Stats:
9/5/05 - 9/14/05
UB Starting Balance: $484.38
Cash Games: +$39.12
Tournaments: +$9.00
UB Ending Balance: $532.50

1 comment:

Top2 said...

Triple draw? You are a brave man, my friend.

Good goals, I'm looking at similar ones. Thought I DID just pull off my first big MTT win (lol).

Agree with you on PokerTracker, I suck at keeping notes and will have to purchase this in the very near future.