Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Preliminary Oscar Picks

Mo and I pride ourselves as professional movie watchers from time to time. Every year our friend Brian holds a little Oscar party/pool, usually for $20 or so. We have never won any money, despite our studying year 'round. What little of the Golden Globes that I watched, I had a good read on the winners, so I am going to pick em' early for the Oscars, that way if need be, I can change my picks.

Actor in a leading role:
Forrest Whitaker - Last King Of Scotland
Mo and I just saw this, and I think this one is a no-brainer.

Actor in a supporting role:
Eddie Murphy - Dreamgirls
I have not seen Dreamgirls, but I just think this is who will win at this point. I really would rather see Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine), Hounsou (Blood Diamond), or Wahlberg (The Departed) win.

Actress in a leading role:
Helen Mirren - The Queen
Another one that I haven't seen, but the buzz just points to this one.

Actress in a supporting role:
Abigail Breslin - Little Miss Sunshine
Don't know if this is a "sleeper pick" or not, but I'm pretty sure she won't win...but I gotta go with my gut, plus out of all of the movies nominated in this category, this is the only one i've seen. I wouldn't be surprised if Jennifer Hudson wins though (Dreamgirls).

Animated Feature Film:
HAPPY FEET

Art Direction:
Pans Labyrinth
I have a good feeling about this movie, even though I have not seen it yet. This is another one that could go to Dreamgirls though, but again, i'm sticking with my gut.

Cinematography:
NO PICK YET
The only nominee I've seen was The Illusionist, and I didn't find the cinematography to be all that great.

Costume Design:
NO PICK YET
Another tought one, that could go to just about any of the nominees imho. It wouldn't be a stretch to pick any of them, but preliminary pick has me leaning towards The Queen, with a nod to Marie Antoinette (which is what I would like to see win).

Directing:
The Departed
Seriously, it's time for Marty to take one down. Wouldn't be surprised to see Clint Eastwood take it (Letters from Iwo Jima).

Documentary Feature:
An Inconvenient Truth

Documentary Short:
NO PICK YET

Film Editing:
The Departed
I'm hoping this film takes at least two or three awards, but I think Babel might get this one too.

Foreign Language Film:
Pan's Labyrinth

Makeup:
Pan's Labyrinth

Music (Score):
The Queen

Music (Song):
Dreamgirls
NO BRAINER here.

Best Picture:
The Departed
This is a tough one, as always. But I do think this was the best out of them all. I would love to see the little low budget indie flick take it (Little Miss Sunshine), but this will win...it has to!

Short Film (Animated):
NO PICK YET

Short Film (Live Action):
NO PICK YET

Sound Editing:
Flags of our Fathers

Sound Mixing:
Dreamgirls

Visual Effects:
Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Mans Chest

Writing (Adapted Screenplay):
The Departed
God do I want Borat to win!!

Writing (Original Screenplay):
Little Miss Sunshine

No comments: